Thursday, October 20, 2011

Can I really run if I have to?

I was reading an article this morning on The Woma about keeping physically fit for hunting. Dawn makes many valid points in her article for physical fitness in hunting, but one that summarizes why I have begun working on getting my body more physically fit. She states, "The more fit you are, the faster you can run from predators."

In her article, Dawn is talking about bears and other wildlife that you may encounter during hunting. But what about the wildlife that we may encounter in that parking lot after dark on our way to the car after work? What about the wildlife that may be walking down the alley when you take out the garbage? If I were to encounter a situation where I could run instead of having to draw my weapon and shoot someone, would I be physically able to?

It makes me angry when someone says, "Don't worry about it. Adrenaline will kick in and you can do anything." Okay. Sure, we know that adrenaline makes more things possible, I remember running a half mile home in minutes in junior high school to get my father when my sister got hit by a car even though it took me the whole hour in P.E. But I would rather KNOW that I can do it then to take the chance that I might or might not be able to do it when adrenaline kicks in. And what good would it do if I made it to the door and then passed the heck out? I must be able to protect myself and my children. 

If something happened and my 12 year old son was unconscious or injured, could I carry him? What?! Are you crazy? I don't carry the dog food. I am lazy, I am undisciplined and I would much rather have a Dr. Pepper than a glass of water!

So I have decided to change. I want to play with my grandchildren. I want to ride the horses for hours with my husband and my daughter. I want to be able to run if I have to. I want to feel good about me. Can I tell you something that some of you who know me won't believe? I struggle with insecurity. Before I found something I was good at...this. Writing and shooting. I was sure that I was pretty worthless. This new struggle with my weight as I've gotten older has added to that. The teasing of a child about the stains on her teeth, her glasses, and the fact that she was not one of the popular kids probably added to that, plus numerous other things growing up. I cannot; however, allow it all to keep me there. I am refusing to be a victim. Refusing to be a victim of my past, refusing to be a victim of low self-esteem, and refusing to be a victim of fat and laziness!! I am the only one who can change me. I am the only one who can make myself physically fit.

So ten days ago I started an exercise regimen. I am eating better (most of the time) and I am exercising. I met yesterday with a trainer and got a workout plan for the next month. I am going to cut the fat and build lean muscle. I am going to strengthen my arms as the virtuous woman should "She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. (Proverbs 31:17)."

I have asked for and received some great ladies to hold me accountable and I am keeping up with everything on Anytime Health. I will post from time to time and let you all know how I am doing. Let me know if you would like to join this journey with me.

Have a wonderful day, friends!

10 comments:

  1. GOOD FOR YOU!!! How awesome that you realize you are worth fighting for and not just against the bad guy, but against all things that hold you back for letting your true awesome-ness shine!

    So excited to watch your journey to a deeper empowerment of yourself!!

    You rock!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on so many of your comments above! Been there done that so to speak.
    I recently started a walking program- not only to loose weight but to get fit and build stamina. I got to thinking - ok I have the big-out-bag in the car - Great! Now what if I ever had to walk the 80 miles from my office to the house (trust me, I am not walking to work!). Could I do it in a reasonable time? Could I do it with a 3 year old and 8 month old in tow (rare that I would have the kids in the MetroPlex with me - but highly likely that I would have them with me in our nearest town which is 20 miles from the house).
    So I decided I would start a long distance walking program, similar to what the breast cancer walkers do. I would walk on real ground, not just a track or treadmill and I am now starting to carry my gear, my pack/pistol water ect.
    People say I am crazy, I would never need to walk home. I say look at 9/11 look at Katrina. How many people were on foot?

    I am with you in spirit since I can't be in person. Keep up the great work - you can achieve your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks AGHG!

    Thanks, Ponie, I hope to meet you next time I'm out that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome and inspiring post! I wish you the very best on your endeavor, Lady.

    I wanted to comment about the point you made about adrenaline. I completely agree with you! We can't just fool ourselves into believing this magical adrenaline will carry us through. Taking care of our physical health will help ensure our adrenaline works at peak levels when we need it. So does self defense training. When you train your body how to escape harm, you build muscle memories that will last even when you are taken by surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your choices. I too was picked on growing up for being too tall and wearing glasses and braces and many other things. Took me a LONG time to realize I was worthy. After somethings that happened in my past I decided I didn't want to be a victim anymore and started to learn to shoot...well I am hooked. I know that I wouldn't be able to outrun a predator then again I am a disabled female. So I am doing all I can to be safe although I live in a state that seems to think that concealed carry is not needed :0( but hoping that changes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually the way I look at it is that if a person is worried about their physical safety and want to carry a weapon then doesnt it make even more sense to worry about the much higher risks caused by smoking, overeating and low physical activity?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually, when you start a sentence with "actually", it is meant as a contradiction. So I am a bit confused as all I have is the rules of grammar which I was taught in journalism, lacking the benefit of tone of voice since we are in type. SO if that comment was meant as a contradiction I am missing it. That is precisely my point, my friend from Vermont. We must care for our bodies if we are to focus at all on self-defense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking the exact same thing lately. I hurt my foot somehow (I am sure it was my incredible sense of grace *sarcasm*), and it's made me VERY aware of my limitations if I had to bolt. I lost 30 pounds 4 years ago, but gained it back after my son came home. Now that the hubs and I are going to try to get pregnant, it's even more important to be healthy, not just for the baby, but for my entire family. I will encourage you along the way if you remind me that Starbucks is not a food group :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes, I love starbucks but have found a new lower calorie alternative. I put a spoon of splenda and three spoons of sugar free cocoa mix and a pinch of cinnamon in my coffee instead of creamer and sugar. It's not a mocha but it is yummy chocolatey and everyone loves it at my house.

    ReplyDelete