Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lady's Biblical View On Concealed Carry

Already, in one day, I've had someone ask, "How can you call yourself a Christian woman, with faith in God, and carry a weapon?" Instead of a quick retort, I thought I would share with you all my views on what the Bible says. This is simply my opinion, you are entitled to your own. Praise God for free will.

I want to start out with the most commonly used Biblical arguments against carrying, "turn the other cheek" and "Thou shalt not kill."

Turn the other cheek
"And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also" (Luke 6:29). At the time of Jesus, striking someone deemed to be of a lower class with the back of the hand was used to assert authority and dominance. If the persecuted person "turned the other cheek," the discipliner was faced with a dilemma. The left hand was used for unclean purposes, so a back-hand strike on the opposite cheek would not be performed. The other alternative would be a slap with the open hand as a challenge or to punch the person, but this was seen as a statement of equality. Thus, by turning the other cheek the persecuted was in effect demanding equality. By handing over one's cloak in addition to one's tunic, the debtor has essentially given the shirt off their back, a situation directly forbidden by Hebrew Law as stated in Deuteronomy 24: 10-13. By giving the lender the cloak as well the debtor was reduced to nakedness. Public nudity was viewed as bringing shame on the viewer, not the naked, as evidenced in Genesis 9: 20-27.

Turning the other cheek, makes me an equal with the one who would do harm to me. If a man, most of them being bigger than me, wants to do harm to me then me having a way to protect myself puts me as his equal. I don't plan to carry a "man killer" weapon that would most definitely fire a shot to kill. I simply plan to carry a small weapon that could cause my would-be assailant enough pain to leave me alone long enough to provide for my escape.

Thou Shall Not Kill
Exodus 20:13 states, as we all know, in the KJV Thou shall not kill. The Hebrew word "תִּֿרְצָֽ֖ח׃" or "ratsach" literally means to murder. Even the Webster's dictionary has different definitions for the words "kill" and "murder".

Kill: to cause the death of, put an end to

Murder: the crime of killing a person especially with malice aforethought

In carrying a weapon for self-defense purposes, I have no intention of murdering anyone. I honestly have no intention of ever killing anyone. The gun I have that I will carry would take many shots and pure intent to actually kill someone. I pray every single day as I strap on my weapon that I will never have to draw it. I pray every day that I will never have to use it. I will protect my life or the life of another if it is necessary, but I pray every day that that never happens.

We should always trust that God will protect and provide. But there are stupid people out there, angry people out there and, just as He gave it to us, God gave them free will. As much as He would like to protect us from it, He has to allow them to make their own choices too. Prayer for safety every day is our first line of defense. Some say that they won't carry because it means that they have no faith that God will protect them. If you look in Luke 22, you will see that two of the disciples carried swords to the Last Supper. Even Christ instructed the disciples that if they had no swords for self defense that they were to sell their clothes to buy one. The disciples said that they have two swords and He said it was enough. In verse 40, He reminds them to pray that they not enter into temptation. The Lord instructed the disciples to carry protection but to pray that they not have to use it.

If your husband or yourself lost a job, would you sit on the sofa and watch television and wait for God to knock on your door with a job? No you go out and turn in resumes and actively pursue new employment. You should take the same proactive approach on protecting your life and the lives of those you love. Just like Jesus and the apostles, carrying a weapon to protect life, to protect the temple of God (I Cor. 6:19-20) is not only prudent but scriptural. If your life is truly His, if you live to share the Gospel, then you should protect that life. Protect that temple. But pray that you never have to.

Again, this is simply my opinion. You are surely entitled to your own.

Have a great day, thanks for stopping by,



Here is a link I received with more views: Christians Bearing Arms
I also enjoy Kathy Jackson's view at Cornered Cat

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely fantastic! Thank you for this! I put a link back to your page on my website. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you have a really great site!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent explanation!! I have been asked the same thing several times. Just because I carry a gun for self defense does not mean I have any intention of killing anyone. I would only shoot in necessary to stop the immediate threat on my life. Big difference. Great site by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl! I applaud you! You have done your homework! I love your website! I happened to google the .380 Ruger LCP for a girlfriend looking and I ran across your site, the page re that little gem! It took me a while to get used to the trigger pull as I started on a S&W 9mm MP, and though I love it, it was too big to conceal easily when I ride (my motorcycle) or even shop for more than a couple hours.

    Thank you Texas Lady! I have already shared your site with many!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!! Thank you Lady...I sooo needed to read this...more importantly...so does my husband, the Rev.

    Trish Cutler
    IDPA Match Director
    Hudson, NY
    Columbia Pistol Action League
    I am a "KITTY FAN".....love that lady too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing how we've managed to substitute the word "murder" with "kill", probably with good intentions, but totally changing the meaning of the Commandment. I've read the Bible several times, myself, and have always wondered about some of the "rules" that I grew up under, but have no way of checking out the original manuscripts, much less deciphering ancient Hebrew (had enough trouble learning English!). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said. The Bible often praises righteous use of force (Saul has killed his thousands and David his tens of thousands) and God punished Saul for not destroying those He had told Saul to destroy. As you said so well, the Bible makes a definite distinction between "kill" and "murder". "Thou shalt not murder" is a more accurate translation of the ten commandments. As far as using deadly force ourselves, we never shoot at a person with intent to kill them but only to make them stop what they are doing to harm us or others. If that use of force causes them to die it was their choice that we had to use force, not ours. We don't shoot to kill, we shoot to live!

    ReplyDelete