Sunday, September 1, 2013

Here's What I Know

So my sweet man has only been behind the wheel of that big truck for a few weeks, but here's what I know.
  • Trucker's marriages are made of something special (the ones that last)
  • Finding a job in a rural community is very hard
  • Learn geography in the 5th grade when it's easy!
So being married to a trucker is hard if he's someone you really do love, and my sweet man is the LOVE of my LIFE. I mean, I know some trucker's marriages aren't all that, just like some regular marriages. I have heard of couples that go weeks without hardly a phone call and they're all good. Not me and my man. Some days he's crying and wants to come home, some days I'm crying and want him to come home, some days we just want him home. Point is, it's never easy being apart from someone you love. Period. But you do what you can and you make it work. You get your OTR time out of the way, then you get a local gig ASAP. That's our plan anyway. Plus we do little things to keep the love alive when he's gone. We leave each other little notes, we text as often as possible, we talk on the phone several times a day...and thank the Lord for Facetime and Skype. I don't know what truckers did before the smartphone. I love being able to see him, that just makes me weak in the knees like a teenager with a crush!! I love it when I hear my iPad ringing!! One big thing, no matter what time it is when he's headed to bed, we say "goodnight". It doesn't matter if it's midnight or 2pm. If he's going to bed, I tell him goodnight. I just love that.

Okay so, my sweet man takes care of me. I really don't have to work if I don't want to, buuuut, I'm just not the kind of girl who can sit around and watch soap operas all day. I need a job. I need to do something. So I started looking for a job and Oh. My. Gosh. there are none to be found. I am attending substitute teacher orientation next week, but I don't know if they'll let me in - sigh - my tattoos are probably not compliant with the dress code. But we shall see. I had some twit at the dog park the other day tell me that she was sure Hot Topic in the mall was hiring, since she noticed I have tattoos, and they would probably hire me. Ugh! Yeah, sure, with all of my skills I want to sell panties and belly button rings to goth teenagers all day long. Gag! Stereotype much? Maybe I will just take a class or something instead? Perhaps I will learn a new skill, like belly dancing or something...

And finally, for any kids who might be reading this: LEARN GEOGRAPHY WHEN YOU'RE A KID AND IT'S EASY!! A little confession here, my asphalt cowboy said he was going to Illinois last night and I had absolutely NO CLUE where Illinois was. I am a Texas girl, born and raised and as far as I was concerned, Texas was all I needed to know. If it's north of Oklahoma, I will never need to know where it is. Alas, I was wrong. So, I keep an eye on the dispatch list and open up the map every time it says he's in a new state. I'm brushing up on my map skills, guys. Be proud. I'm also learning how to fix EVERYTHING, since it all has to fall apart when he's gone, hehehe.

Thanks for hanging out guys. I am researching a situation where a prescription from the doctor might allow you to carry your firearm at work. Anyone else heard of this?? Let me know what you think?! Have a great Labor Day!



2 comments:

  1. Lady, Don't worry about the tattoos. As long as you can cover them up, they are not a problem. My son wore long sleeved shirts at his jobs. You could also use a produce such as DermaBlend if you don't always want to wear long sleeves. So go for it. Can you say what area of TX you are in? I am in the Houston area, & could share prospects if you are in the general area. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, thanks for the tips. Most of my tattoos can be covered, so I'm not really all that concerned, was just sharing the experience really. The biggest concern is that I actually have tattoos on my neck. They are mostly covered by my hair, but people tend to judge a little bit more harshly if you have neck tattoos ;) kinda silly. God will bring the right job when it's time!

      I am in a rural area outside of Fort Worth. I spent quite a bit of time in Houston this year, though. I had my kidney surgery there. We stayed in Pearland, which was so beautiful. We spent much of my recovery on the beach at Galveston, we both got really great tans this summer!

      Delete