Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My First Hunting Trip

Not too long ago, I had the opportunity to join the Cowboy for my very first deer hunting trip. I had some great pictures from this trip, but I have no idea what happened to them, so all you get is this not so great picture of me in some of my gear. 
It was an unseasonably warm day and not knowing what to expect, I geared up anticipating the cold after dark.  Thermals, wool socks, snake boots, everything but the coveralls...wow, it's getting warm in here.

We headed out to the lake, the nearest public hunting grounds with plenty of time to get out in the thick before the sun starts to set. Because it was so warm, there were so many people out there.

Let me say this to all of you non-hunters out there, it is not smart to be hiking on public hunting grounds on opening day of deer season. Walking in thick brush in earth colored clothing, DANGEROUS. Not saying that you shouldn't be there, it's public land, by all means, spend some quality time with your family, but wear bright clothing, please. Oh, and to the hippie looking kids camping barefoot, PUT YOUR FIRE OUT!! Please don't leave a fire smoldering, especially when there shouldn't have been a fire at all due to the local burn ban.

I learned something as we hiked through the brush, my super cute camo snake boots are HEAVY! Anyhow, we saw some great scenery. Saw some places where the deer had been nesting, saw their tracks leading to the water and had some great fun hiking.

We found the only place on the river where there was still water and hiked up on a hill overlooking the water, thinking that they would soon head that way to drink.

Unfortunately, deer did not head our way. We did not even see one that night. We did; however, spend some great quality time together. We saw some beautiful nature and watched the sun set over the river bed. It was beautiful and amazing, a truly amazing experience, even though we never fired a shot.

Have a great day, friends, and look forward to some great posts, reviews and interviews coming soon!

Lady

4 comments:

  1. OOO I love hunting! As soon as i figure this blog thing out maybe Ill start posting stuff..im such a nubie lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this post is so lacking my personal style of writing. Can you tell I wasn't feeling well? I'm gonna leave it up for now, but it may get re-written in the near future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sure everyone has those kind of days:0...but its real:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's just lacking the detail I generally put into my work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete