Thursday, May 15, 2014

Open Letter To The Skinny Heifer At The Gym Counter

I don't know your name and you don't know mine, but last week when I walked into your gym, filled with hope, determination and a will to make this thing happen, with a quick glance up and down my body and a disgusted, upward curl of your lip, you made a huge mistake.

You see, you look at me and you don't want me in your gym full of "hot bodies". In your eyes, I'm not even a "hot mess", I'm just a mess. You see a nearly obese, middle aged, soccer mom scraping together the quarters out of the washing machine to put together a Gym membership because she wants to get back the body she lost all those years ago to marriage and childbirth. But that's where you're wrong. 

Your eyes may see those things, but inside I'm my own hero. I am a wife, a mother, a kidney donor, an activist, a friend, daughter, and more. I am a champion. I am a STRONG, BEAUTIFUL, REAL SPIRITUAL WOMAN WHO IS TRUSTING IN AND LOVED BY GOD.  I am a woman who is determined to get healthy, to not get diabetes, to be around for a whole lot longer. I am a champion. 

I am the woman who is going to make you eat your judgements and turn your head. Just sayin'. 




P.S. If you're in the area of Azle/Springtown, TX and are looking for a gym, check out The GEM on Highway 199. They have a place for you with a great staff who takes the time to get to know you, knows your name, and helps you out however they can. They have great family plans and affordable rates. I am so happy they are here. 

P.P.S. The GEM has no idea I even mentioned them in this story. 

3 comments:

  1. I hate that look. I've been the recipient more than once.

    I'm glad you found a gym you're comfortable in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your determination! I'm glad you found the right gym and you didn't let some silly twit ruin it for you. Laughed so had at the 'skinny heifer' part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love this post! I am the wife of the director at The Gem and am so thankful someone shared this blog with me. It thrills my soul to know the love of Christ is being exuded through our staff. We pray that The Gem will be a blessing to everyone who enters, and it's encouraging to read testimonials like yours.

    ReplyDelete