Monday, February 17, 2014

Over The Road Adventures with That Texas Lady: Day 1

Today was my first day on the truck with my sweet husband. Since he's not chasing cows anymore, he's my "Trucker Man" instead of "The Cowboy".  As a new Trucker Wife, I want to give an honest recount of what it's like for me to ride in the truck. Not a sugar-coated, everything-is-always-peaches-and-cream recount, but real, honest, and accurate. It's not like I haven't been in the truck before. I've ridden an hour to Mesquite and back to pick up a load, but I've never been over-the-road with him.

The ride to Pasadena wasn't bad, except for the fact that if I raised the chair high enough to see over the dash, my feet didn't reach the floor. The chairs have several setting but not one of them is "recline"...bummer.


I don't know what it is, but I love the giant statue of Sam Houston. But it was too dark for photos when we reached that point. We stopped in Centerville, TX for a potty break and to stretch our legs at the nicest truck stop I've ever been to. Yes, it was even better than Buccees. It was a great place called Woody's Smokehouse, and they have a shiny grill/smoker that looks like a revolver. I think I need one of those... If you're ever in the area, you should stop by. Not only do they have the cleanest public bathrooms I've ever seen, but they also have a butcher with fresh sliced meats and cheeses, jams, jellies, preserves, pickled everything, ready-to-cook stuffed chickens and so much more! They are Texas hospitality at its finest. 

We made it to Pasadena with plenty of free time and enjoyed some Wendy's frosties and free internet at a Love's truck stop while we watched some Netflix before going to bed. I got some great news in my email, CanCan Concealment and Bang Bang Boutique are both going to partner with me for my month of Giveaways in March!! So after the current giveaway ending March 1st from Lucky shot, we will have a Garter Holster from CanCan and a $50 gift certificate from Kim over at Bang Bang Boutique!

I remember when my Trucker-Man first started driving. About a week on the truck and he told me about a "trapped" feeling. You're in this tiny box, far away from home, and it feels like there's no way out. By bedtime, I knew what he was talking about. Being used to a queen sized bed, with only the headboard against the wall, it was very claustrophobic to be between him and the wall, with the dog at my feet in what felt like a microscopic twin sized bed.

I didn't sleep well but was ready to go this morning. Got in a short run before grabbing some breakfast and hitting the road again. Looking forward to a great day. We are unloading now and will find out where we're going next soon. Hopefully someplace pretty!!


No comments:

Post a Comment