Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Over the Road Adventures: Day 3


 
Yesterday was hard for me but I have a new respect for those who work over the road every day bringing those things we need in order to live. I had no idea the things that I would have to do without if it weren't for our nations truck drivers. I am so blessed that my driver comes home every week but not all families are like that. Some drivers are gone for weeks or months at a time. This got me to thinking, "What would happen if they all just took a week or hey, how about a month off?" I found this infographic from CDLLife.com: 



I remember a couple of months ago when the DFW area was hit by the Ice-pocalypse and trucks couldn't get in. We had empty store shelves, empty gas pumps, and record breaking accident numbers. And that was only three days. So, with all that said, thank you drivers, my hat is off to you. And all of the wives playing single mom at home, waiting, hoping, praying he comes home safe just one more time, you girls are the strongest women I know, right there with our soldiers and first responders wives. You have my thoughts and prayers. 

I am so sore today. Yesterday we delivered the pipe to a plant in Pampa, TX and picked up a load of Cedar Hulls in Perryton, TX. I have to give a shout out to the fine folks at High Plains Hulls and MTR Tire in Perryton, the fine gentlemen at both of these establishments went above and beyond yesterday to help us out. 

At High Plains we loaded 45,000 pounds of Cedar Hulls in giant bags. The staff there took time out of their day to help us tarp and strap the load. (At the cotton place, I thought I would show how tough I am and roll up ONE tarp by myself. I'm paying for it today, my whole body hurts like I worked out for hours!) Then they noticed we had a flat tire. The mechanic and his whole crew were walking out the door to go home, but they stayed to help us. When it was decided that the tire was not going to hold air for long, they called and found a tire shop who was willing to stay after closing and change a tire for us.

Miguel and his guy at MTR stayed 2 and a half hours past closing time and changed a tire so we wouldn't have to wait for them to open the next morning! This guy was our hero, I will tell you that. 

Being from the panhandle had its benefits last night. I was able to stop by a friend's house who had us a nice, oven baked pizza and a hot shower waiting. I also got to snuggle her precious 3 week old grandbaby, which made all of the troubles of the world disappear. I also got a text from my son, my sweet Skater Boy. He knows I am lonely without my little dog who died a few months ago and he found a friend giving away some pups. He sent pictures of the craziest looking little Chorkie I have ever seen, but I promised to come look at them when we get home. What I really want is a female Shih Tzu but I have to be receptive of his kindness and at least go look at these little guys. Here's the one he sent me, let me know in the comments what you think?? He looks like something out of a cartoon, but I just can't place it.


I can't say it was a bad day, because it was filled with SO MANY blessings, but it was hard. Trucker-Man offered to drop me off at home, since we will be driving within 30 miles of the house, but I promised to ride with him a week and I aim to keep my word. I must admit, I am pretty glad this week is half over...

1 comment:

  1. What a cute puppy! He looks like a gremlin, though. A cute gremlin, not the ugly-fed-after-dark ones.

    I love reading about your trip. You're halfway there! Only a few more days to go :)

    ReplyDelete