Thursday, May 26, 2011

My History With Guns

Some have asked me how I got into guns, so I thought I would share.

Guns have been a part of my life since I was little. My father joined the Police Department when I was little. He always had his off-duty on his hip and I thought that this was normal.

When I was about 7 years old, we were on vacation and my father caught me playing with a BB Gun. I guess he decided that it was time. He taught me how to shoots pistols and rifles. I enjoyed time with my father, uncles and cousins shooting targets, Pepsi cans, whatever we could find to shoot at. With learning to shoot there also came lessons in respect and propriety. I can still hear his voice, "Always treat a gun as if it's loaded, even if you're sure it's not."

I never had the desire to "play" with the guns in my home. I knew where they were kept and was sure I could use them if I needed to defend myself or my home. There were 4 of us growing up and no one ever messed with the guns. We knew where they were, what they were for and that they were not toys to be played with. Although guns in MY house are locked up, they never were in my dad's house growing up. I believe that they are now, since several years back he had one stolen from his trusty hiding spot.

After high school, I probably didn't touch a firearm until I was in my late 20's, early 30's. We had them in the house but I never felt welcome with my ex-husband when he went shooting. He was a fairly archaic type of fella who didn't think women should carry or "play around" at the range.

My new husband stands on the same ground I do. He believes that we each have the right, if not the duty, to protect ourselves. He knows that he cannot always be there to protect me and is comforted by the knowledge that I can protect myself.

I am re-educating myself with firearms care, laws, and proper handling so that I can carry for self-defense safely and comfortably.

I am thankful that you have chosen to join me as I learn and hope that you will learn something too!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment